Monday, April 11, 2011

Bath bombs

I've always had a fledgling interest in aromatherapy, and now that I'm studying massage my interest is starting to develop into something more practical. I bought myself a starter kit of six essential oils; geranium, lavender, lemongrass, orange, peppermint and Roman chamomile.

Over the weekend I popped two drops of Roman chamomile and a drop of mandarin in my oil burner to relieve some irritability and today I've made some bath bombs for the first time.

In a clean, dry metal bowl I mixed;
225g bicarb baking soda
115g citric acid
115g cornflour
115g lectric washing soda (which is just the same as Epsom salts, only cheaper!)

Then in a clean, dry glass jar I mixed;
3 teaspoons water
15 drops of essential oil mix*
2.5 tablespoons of cold pressed oil (I used the easy wash massage oil I use at school which is a mix of soya bean and sweet almond oil, but any cold pressed vegetable oil will do)
1-2 drops food colouring (optional)


Make sure the dry ingredients is lump free by mixing thoroughly with a whisk.
Shake up the wet ingredients thoroughly. Don't worry if it doesn't form an emulsion.
Gradually, one teaspoon at a time, mix the wet ingredients into the dry, whisking to combine and prevent a reaction (ie. bath bomb fizzle!)

Once all the ingredients are mixed together, press the mixture into moulds. I pressed 1/3 cup of mixture into cling wrap lined muffin tins. This made nine bombs.

Wait for them to dry and store in an airtight container for up to six months.



*Essential oil mix
For this batch I used a calming/relaxation mix

Other suggestions are;
Fight Depression Blend

Insomnia Blend


No comments:

Post a Comment